Cleaning up WSUS Failed Upgrade on SBS 2008
My post yesterday was about an issue a friend had with their SBS 2008 server. Basically I was unsure as to how the suscomp.dll got removed from the server at all and why it totally broke all their websites on their SBS 2008 server. It turns out that the system tried to install WSUS 3.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and as part of that process it removes WSUS 3.0 SP1 and the associated suscomp.dll file.
So how do you go about fixing this problem? Fortunately for me, Microsoft have written this repair guide that allows you to at least get WSUS 3.0 SP1 back into operation without too much pain. I followed the step here to get WSUS 3.0 SP1 installed again. I had to do this last year on my own server when WSUS 3.0 SP2 failed too, but I never did get around to figuring out what went wrong. Anyway – I used the Microsoft process but could not use restore the WSUS Database as there was no backup. Followed the Microsoft Guide to get it working though.
I then proceeded to manually download WSUS 3.0 SP2 so that I could install it interactively. This gives me the best chance of seeing just what went wrong and fixing it. The install process ran fine all the way through to the end. No errors… grr. I checked the SBS Remote Web Workplace website and OWA and all works fine. More grrr… Oh well – it’s working now. I would have liked to see what caused the problem but I’ve got no idea
This entry was posted on Thursday, December 9th, 2010 at 6:00 am and is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.