I’ve been away for a few days and came back to find that my WD Sentinel DX4000 has software updates available for it. You can do the update manually or enable it to do automatic updates. Personally I prefer to do manual updates on a number of my key servers so that I can review what has changed prior to installing the update. You can check out what is now in the v220.127.116.11 update here.
Upon reviewing the above mentioned PDF, I can see that they recommend I have a specific Microsoft Update Rollup 4 (MS KB #2757013) installed before I do this WD update. Glad I checked as whilst I did have this update installed, I’m not sure what would have happened had I let it do it’s thing automatically. You can force download and install of the update from the Monitor Tab on the Dashboard as you can see below. Installation takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes once it’s downloaded and it will need a reboot after it’s done (which it does automatically).
The big new feature in this release is that it adds the ability for the WD Sentinel to act as an iSCSI target which many people have asked for. They have incorporated the iSCSI support from StarWind and have even got a cool dashboard add in that you can see below.
From the Dashboard, you can quickly create iSCSI targets and then have iSCSI clients connect to them. I’ll do some performance comparisons later of this vs. my QNAP so you can get a guideline of the difference.
Overall – this upgrade went smoothly for me on one of my two WD DX 4000 Sentinel units. The other one (my main production one which I did 2nd) lost the ability to pickup a DHCP IP address after the reboot. I had two WD supplied cables connect it to my Netgear switch. I tried many different things, and in the end replaced BOTH network cables with new cables – it now works fine. I can’t see why the cables don’t work as they did before the upgrade and both cables work fine with other laptops. Further testing shows the WD cables don’t work now with EITHER of my WD Sentinel units… One of my units uses the cables supplied by WD, the other is using a single cable I’ve supplied on my own. It appears for now, I need to replace the cables with alternate cables so that my systems can continue to function. I’m going to take this up with WD as it should not be like this
I am looking forward to playing wit the iSCSI functionality and will do some performance tests later compared to my QNAP.